Tuesday, August 12, 2008

This is Ridiculous...

BEIJING — A 7-year-old Chinese girl was not good-looking enough for the Olympics opening ceremony, so another little girl with a pixie smile lip-synched "Ode to the Motherland," a ceremony official said _ the latest example of the lengths Beijing took for a perfect start to the Summer Games... more @ huffingtonpost.com

I am actually surprised this hasn't happened in America yet, as we are so insanely appearance conscious. I don't mean Milli Vanilli or that chick from C&C Factory or whatever - that's dumb enough, but I mean kids. It's funny, I actually thought some countries were above this sort of garbage. Political ideologies aside (it's a touchy subject), I have always assumed that China was overall a country of somewhat intelligent people who do not have face and body image at the top of their lists, focusing on more fulfilling things like academic pursuits, technological advances, etc. I realize that even the most vague generalizations can surprise you. And in a 7-year old? My goodness! I certainly hope they didn't tell the poor girl she wasn't "pretty enough" to sing the anthem, although she was a good enough singer to apparently warrant lip-synching. Sad.

4 comments:

Seeker said...

So so so sad!!!!!
I just have no more words to describe what I feel. This is just a case of prejudice that puts me so mad.

Thank you for posting about it and call attention for this!

xoxo

Henri said...

hey, that's so upsetting! ;(

The reason why I'm here is to tellyou I used to write for henrihouse.blogspot.com but i forgot the email and password i used for it. haha. So I have a new blog now. Please make sure to check it out.

New Blog: henrilush.blogspot.com

maverickandlove said...

yeah i heard about that.. it was kind of sad, but then i thought about america and how our government would have done that too. i heard that the little girl was switched at the last minute... :(

Sally said...

i heard about this! the girl who actually sang said that she didnt mind cos at least she got to sing! i would be tres annoyed if it were me! unfortunatly i think that a lot of countries would do the same thing, maybe not the lip-synching but they would switch for someone "better looking" which is awful x