Sunday, May 4, 2008

Desperately Seeking Grad Dress

Graduation Day is looming...just 6 days away! And, like any procrastinator, I have yet to find the perfect graduation dress. I know, I know, it'll be covered by the traditional cap and gown, but why can't I look fab underneath? Plus, there's always the after parties and/or dinner with the family. I previously had a subdued black version of Marilyn Monroe's iconic Seven Year Itch dress lined up and I got it for only $5! Unfortunately, I remembered with dismay that graduation is OUTUSIDE in DAYLIGHT...duh. So, I had been combing the thrift shops fruitlessly for another gem of that caliber when I thought it would be fun to just try on the really expensive dresses in Macy's to make myself feel better. HUUUUGE mistake. I found my dream dress.

A BCBG Max Azria beauty in its simplicity. It's so virginal and looked fantastic on my skin (and no, I am no longer one of those girls who feel depressed trying on clothes because I seem to pick things that look great on me...finally!) while actually fitting in the boob area. This surly (and odd-looking, I might add) model does this dress no justice. I fell in love in the fluorescent-lit dressing room. Unfortunately for me, it costs $388 dollars. Now in the grand scheme of designer dresses, I know that's chump change...but it broke my heart in two.

And now, I have been bitten by the designer bug and further hurt my own feelings by visiting Bluefly.com, love of my pampered-undergrad life, bane of my broke-graduate existence. All of these lovely dresses fit my grad-dress criteria, including being statement-making (white does that, right?), sleeveless or strapless, and above the knee. I sure wish I had money. Sigh.

A.B.S. ivory printed crepe belted dress, $155.55
This one's kind of plain-colored but I love the pattern and would wear some loud shoes with it!

A.B.S. ivory tiered silk organza mini dress, 178.50
Ok, so I kinda have a thing for white/off-white dresses. They look so sweet to me!

A.B.S. silver metallic brocade bubble mini dress, $155.55
I absolutely adore brocade! Especially shoes! But, I have a hard time finding dresses that don't look like tablecloths. This one certainly doesn't :-)

BCBG Max Azria ginger geometric jersey halter, price not available but I'm sure it's out of range!
This one is pretty casual, but I love that pattern.

BCBG Max Azria off-white dotted tulle strapless dress, $142.80
I like how this dress is borderline teen prom; it just makes it more endearing.

BCBG Max Azria (again) off-white embroidered mesh strapless dress, $193.80
This one makes me think of Mississippi barn dances that out-of-staters always imagine we have. Backwards as it seems, that is it's appeal.

Betsey Johnson blush ombre taffeta bow dress, $303.45
This is my second favorite of the bunch. I love Betsey Johnson dresses, and the colors make it seem very 3-D. I think you will also notice the running theme of bows blatantly expressed here.

Cynthia Steffe berry floral cotton halter, $168.30
Tied with the above dress for number two! This dress is spring-y and super-sweet.

Nicole Miller aqua swirl print silk chiffon dress, $158.10
I love the blue and the sweetheart neckline.

Nicole Miller daffodil silk chiffon satin trim v-neck dress, $158.10
I officially love every dress I have ever seen Nicole Miller create in gold. They never feel...overdone or tacky.

Nicole Miller olive "Maya oh Maya" silk ruched dress, price not available
This is my favorite one, so it's probably best that it wasn't available on the site, that would just further the torture. I love my figure and am not the biggest cleavage fan (since I have it in most everything, why not?), so I think this would be perfect.

Shoshanna fuchsia herringbone silk v-neck dress, $173.40
I am in love with the color of course. I could stand out anywhere in this!

Tufi Duek lavender jersey "Sthella" v-neck dress, $198.90
This color...is fab!
Vivienne Tam ivory silk lace detail strapless dress, $331.50
I love the mix of gothic lace and innocent white. This dress is fantastic! I could see height-defying bright-colored stilettos with this.
Vivienne Tam silver silk jersey sequin empire dress, $237.15
Absolutely adorable and I am metallic-obsessed (about 2 years too late) right now.


So...does anyone know of some similar looking dresses a cheapie like me could purchase, perchance?

19 comments:

WanTaBe said...

awww the last two ones are... stunning! I love them. The second white one is sooo adorable as well. i dont like the bright colors to much it looks kinda plastic. u seem to hav such style tho :)
i would giv u tips, but i dont live in the usa so i wont be any help ;)
greetz

Kira Aderne said...

i have a white dress so alike as yours here! i love mine!!!!

good luck in your buying!!!

a kiss,
Kira

molly said...

i really like the second to last one!

Jimena said...

you've got some nice options there!

Boutique Mix Fashion said...

i love the black and white vivienne tam. great selections!!!

Seeker said...

You picked great dresses.
I love the Betsey Johnson blush ombre taffeta bow dress and the BCBG Max Azria off-white dotted tulle strapless dress, those are my favourites.
Good luck on your hunting...

xx

Kira Aderne said...

hello dear!

you are in my links of the day!

a kiss and a hug,
see you,
Kira

Anonymous said...

those are really pretty.

but the one with the big bow in front might look awkward when under the gown.

In my school we had a color scheme, dark pants, bright tops. so I got a lovely Navy blue dress from cache instead.

ps: even though your wearing a gown, u can wear a bright show color, and zip your gown when you done. Congrats!!!

Angie hearts said...

hum... trying not to sound like a commercial but i just got some new dress that are at a very affordable price, you can stop by if you want.
http://www.angiehearts.net

Sorry about this post..-_-;

Anonymous said...

Awww, cute dresses!

Cicely said...

Thank you so much for your brogue suggestions! My favourites are: 2, 3, 12, 13, 15 and 16. I'm aware that really hasn't helped but they're all pretty! i suggest Vintage, its cheap(er) any its one of a kind. You'll look awesome watever you waer anf have a great day!!

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

So many pretty options! I would scour eBay...

aizat.cinta.goddess said...

i love the nicole miller dress..owh it is so nice..i also graduating soon..but since im male so i juct need simple shirt...fish!

Ana said...

I love BCBG. I actually was looking for my graduation dress at Bloomingdales and I saw a similar one but they only had L's so I didnt bother tryingh it on. I ended up getting a cute Joie one.

Ifr you want inexpensive scour thrift stores, Bloomies although expensive sells Aqua which isnt too pricey (my friend got hers there for 80 bucks), you could also try F21.

ellie said...

Hope you find that grad dress. I'm sure you'll look good in whatever you choose.

Cait said...

Nicole Miller aqua swirl print silk chiffon dress- my favorite.

Romany said...

Freaking gorgeous compilation - you could wear any one of these and still be the best looking girl at the whole event. :)
My favourites are the A.B.S. bubble dress, the Betsey Johnson blush, Cynthia Steffe, the fuschia Shoshanna, the ivory Vivienne Tam and absolutely everything there by BCBG Max Azria.
Seriously awesome. Let us know which one you end up wearing.

Romany
xx

Sister Libby said...

Grad dresses...ooohhh! I love the patterned BCBG one that isn't priced...but since it isn't priced...And for cheap dresses, I usually snoop around the juniors section in Nordstroms. Or eBay...but this advice is probably already been advised in the previous comments.

Yas said...

The Nicole Miller dress is cute...love the colors!
Congrats on your graduation! ; )