Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Guilty Pleasures (TV edition)



For the past year or so, I have been stuck on this show called Greek on ABC Family. I hate ABC Family (like many other things, hahaha...notice a pattern?). I think it stems from their destruction of pretty decent movies with terrible sequels, or ABC Family originals, like Au Pair II (why?), The Cutting Edge 2 and 3, and my (least) favorite, Bring it On...Again...One More Time...For the Cheap Seats in the Back...WE LOVE TO CHEER!...Have We Beaten You Over the Head with This Concept Yet?...No?...Ok, One More Sequel...Again. It's like American Pie with pom poms - it just. Won't. Die. But, I digress.

Greek is a pretty solid show. Trust me, it brings the cheese, but in the best way possible. I didn't go to a state school, or any place that wasn't predominantly black, so I can't vouch for the realism in the show. Personally, I don't think college was/is like this show for most people, but who the hell cares? If anything, I could do with less reality TV! I was sold on it right away when they posted the first episode free on iTunes...I pretty much comb iTunes for free items I would never know about otherwise (since they tricked me out of my music! I'm sure I will rant on it at some time, knowing me).

If you find you care (even just a little) or are just totally looking for something to do, check out the full online episodes. It's got love triangles, siblings, fights, frat parties, hangout spots, pranks, even a scripture-spouting roommate, and a little drama thrown in for good measure: basically everything my college experience was LACKING (minus the scripture-spouting roommate, haha). So I am definitely glad to get it smeared on extra thick in a weekly TV show. Hey, these are supposed to be the best years of my life, after all!



Oh, and I must say, I am quite surprised how many people really like that scarf look I hate. I think it is just a factor of where I live. Here in DC at Howard U, also known as *insert eye roll/groan here* the "HBCU fashion mecca", they are as frequently displayed as...oh, I don't know...Uggs w/ tucked jeans or mini-skirts in SoCal? Or, Lindsay Lohan in leggings? Are those examples that make you cringe, at all? These particular scarves have replaced the rockstar denim chain on campus as the new irritating must-have accessory of choice, and I guess I am just tired of having my eyes assaulted by this look. Ugh. Ok, rant over. It looks great on some people (certainly the people commenting whose blogs I have visited and am super-envious of their superior fashion sense), but it's just so...overdone in DC. At Howard U. To me. Ok, really - rant over.

14 comments:

ellie said...

I'm a GREEK fan too..I love Scott M. Foster, but I like the rest of the cast too. My one friend always goes on about how its forbidden to watch at her house. I don't get it...being anything like that. I think its possibly ground breaking with the "Calvin" storyline and I like the story this week with him and the "Christian" kid. Glad to see Cappie isn't with Casey. I think though the story might be better if Cappie were dating Casey's best friend.

I wouldn't say I hate Drake Bell, but that cd just wasn't what I thought it could have been. I might have liked 1 song on the cd. Maybe.

Thanks for the comment, too.

J said...

thanks for introducing. i might check it out:)

Kira Aderne said...

hello!!

i don´t have that tv show here, but i really enjoy a good serie...and that one seems to be soo cool!

a kiss and a hug,
thanks a lot for keeping in touch.

Kira

Anonymous said...

aww I remember the original Au Pair, so cute! I saw that Aeropostale was selling tshirts with the Greek logo on them...

Tori said...

I don't think we have the tv programme here in yorkshire, which i'm gutted about. i love a bit of cheesy!

Melody.Darlene said...

i havent seen this show yet and didnt really know what it was about... and thanks to u, i think im gonna have to peep it! lol!

Seeker said...

We don't have this shows here :(

xx

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

Hee-hee, I'm really loving Greek too. And "My Boys." Funny and solid.
And yes I am clumsy and I think I must have a high pain tolerance, because I don't notice how bad something is until it is bleeding or bruised...

ellie said...

I linked you. Hope you don't mind.

lara said...

here we don't have that show

Anonymous said...

I have to check this show out. Sounds like my college experience at Hampton, minus the Bible-quoting roommate. All of my college roommates were weed-smoking fornicators!

I like that scarf trend on some folks, but just like any other trend, people will run it into the ground and beat it to death.

Romany said...

ooh I really like your writing - very funny and witty! ;)
I've never seen Greek but I've seen ads for it on the internet...So it's just a general teenage show about college etc?
Ugh - jeans tucked into ugg boots. I'm so *vomit* that trend. Lol. It's also extremely prominant here in Australia, where people think they can where thongs (flip flops) in winter and uggs in summer...Gosh when will they learn?? Lol.
Romany
xx

ROBOTS said...

so great!

Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

I don't know any of the shows you mentioned maybe we don't get it here in canada? Maybe I need to watch more tv?