Saturday, April 5, 2008

No Scarf Ace

In considering myself an open-minded person, there are very, very few trends that I absolutely refuse to never accept, no matter how popular, "scene", even out of style, or "chic". Aside from skull print anything, Rihanna, T-Pain, ponchos, and culottes, the only other thing I really dislike as a trend is the bulky plaid/houndstooth/skull scarf wrapped around one's neck like this:

Blech...especially the fringe ones with the ends hanging down. I am not particularly interested in looking like a hipster cowboy, thank-you-very-much. Really, anyone who knows me is aware that due to my likely hypochondriacal self-diagnosis of pnigophobia (fear of choking, go figure) I am averse to most things that wrap around my neck, particularly turtlenecks. However, I still have managed to acquire a love for spring scarves, and attempting to wear them in pretty much anyway but at my neck (or at least very loosely). So, I guess you could say I am relatively new to the allure of scarves. As my title states, I don't know scarves, but I know what I like. And, if I wasn't such a cheapskate/broke college student, I would buy some of these lovely creations rather than find treasures in the dollar bins at thrift stores.

Target













l-r: Oblong Stripe Pastel, $8.99, Pink Floral Multiblock, $8.99, Pink Rain Dot, $6.99, All: Xhilaration head scarves, but of course, wear them anyway you would choose!

American Eagle












Both: Gingham Scarves, black and pink, $19.50 each

Gap













l-r: Gray Gradient scarf, $29.50, Lava stone Orange Sun-bleached Stripe Scarf, $19.50

Anthropologie

















l-r: Scattered Breeze Scarf, $58, Climbing Roses Scarf, $88, Incandescent Scarf, $68, last two: Ribcandy Scarf, pink and yellow, $42 each



bluefly.com






















l-r: DVF "Bee" Scarf, $33.15 (sale ends 4/7), DVF "Ladybug" Scarf, $33.15 (sale ends 4/7), Versace Tulip and Circle print silk Scarf, $220, Viktor & Rolf Ivory Butterfly Bird Print silk jersey Scarf, $114

net-a-porter.com
























l-r: Alexander McQueen Butterfly print Scarf, $295, Matthew Williamson Butterfly silk Scarf, $230, Matthew Williamson Flame-edged silk Scarf, $415, Missoni Starburst silk Scarf, $385

These scarves are all made of light materials: I checked. I love bright colors, obviously, because I like the idea of having accessories that stand out. However, basic can be good too. Aside from as a waist cincher, headband, typical neck adornment, and classic purse accent, I like to wear my scarves in two other ways that may need to be seen to be...understood?

I like it as an ankle accent (not that I would expect this to catch on, but I like it) for really girly dresses.




















I also like to use it as a back-sessory and tie it into my sleeveless shirts and make it halter-top style.













I tried to dress it up a little, but I couldn't really find the energy: I have had approximately 5 hours of sleep in a 48 hr period. Hey, I know my priorities! :-) Oh, and thanks to everyone who has been coming to the blog, as well as those who wished me well on my exam! I really appreciate it.

28 comments:

sridevi said...

Hehe, yes, I was pretty bad ;) And no, it is not a tattoo! It might as well be though (minus the pain), I draw the 3 stars on everyday!

Aisha said...

can't believe you hate "bulky plaid scarves", as you called them :)

i actually love them, ha.

Sheryl W said...

i like what you have done, using them as back accessories! great idea.

Romany said...

It's an understandable fear - believe me. I have it with burning. If I ever get too near to fire I pretty much pass out. Lol.
Oh is it possible for Anthropologie to make something that isn't beautiful? I just wish we had some stores here in Australia...
Those Gap scarves are quite pretty too.
5 hours sleep in 48 hours?? How did that happen??
Romany
xx

Ana said...

I am quite partial to fringe and I like things cozily wrapped around my throat but I do have to agree that those hipster scarves sit their rather limply and stupidly.

Jovana said...

Those scarves are so beautiful and colorful, and thanks for some great new ideas on how to use them!

ellie said...

Thanks for the comment you left me.

That's a lot of scarves.

Some scarves are just made for winter, like those plaid ones, but those florals just make you think of spring and wanting to wrap it arund your head and neck and putting on shades and finding a convertible for a drive in (well, wishful thinking for me).

I like the way I see the way the guys and girls on Hollyoaks (a brittish soap) where there scarves. Its that loop knot thing. Although, none of my scarves are long enough to do that. Zoe on the show usually has a scarf..a tiny one on her neck...you know, like jewelry.

Oops sorry to ramble, but scarves can really change your outfit and your attitude..like the scarf n the ankle..but I can't see myself doing that.

Cicely said...

I really hate those scarves. They're the 'emo' uniform here in england. That is a pretty random fear, lol, you could try just hanging a scarf round the back of your neck. If that makes sense...?

Natalie said...

I completely agree with the scarf rant! Mainly because I don't believe that anyone should look to Yassar Arafat for fashion trends, nor is it particularly advisable to turn something of cultural significance into a hipster calling card.

Those Anthropologie picks are gor.geous. Love!

Anonymous said...

ooh I like the way you added it to a tank to make a bow-backed top! cute cute...

Aisha said...

i love how you wear the scarf in your ankle, is a very great idea, my sister used to do that too :)

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

That's a cool way to wear your scarf--tying back your tee. I like the scarves in all forms, I never feel like a cowboy or a hipster in mine! Maybe because most of mine come from my father...can you really feel hip in a gift from straight-edge dad?

Seeker said...

Oh, I'm sorry you feel that way :(
I love scarfs, that's an acessorie so flexible, that can pull off an outfit. Well, but must be with good sense.
Love the way you puted your scarf, but I'm not seeing me that way...

xoxo

Jimena said...

scarfs.... dangerous territory you are entering!

I personally love them in all shapes and colours... bulky, light, patterned, knitted.... I bet if you give them a chance you'll realize they are an addictive accesory. Mark my words.

Oh well, at least they are for me. Cute post by the way!

xx.

Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

your outfit is great you are goign to look amazing this summer
Love all the scafs you posted especially the american eagle ones!

Secretista said...

Cool way to wear your scarf. I might just copy it... if I can reach that far!

I love all scarves. I'm going to be wearing a TON of light wieght scarves come Spring. WOO!

Sister Libby said...

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with scarves of all sorts. I do love the ankle scarf look though. It's...saucy.

Tram said...

oh man, im completely guilty of owning the fringed scarf you speak of- except mine isn't in a bright plaid pattern or whatever the 'hipsters' wear nowadays.
It's very dark item, i wear it for added texture- i feel bad that you have such a phobia because (winter) scarfs are so much fun.
I liked your idea of tying it to make a racer-back tank top look, its very cute!

Melody.Darlene said...

hahah thats funny that you posted this b/c i was JUST saying how upset i was b/c i lost my purple scarf on saturday... PURPLE! i hope i can find another! hahah!

Kira Aderne said...

i love scarfs and you got so many great here!!!

amazing leg scarf...something like Chanel :)

a kiss and a hug,

Kira

ROBOTS said...

MUSIC + FUN? HERE! HERE! HERE!
www.electronicrobots.blogspot.com

B L O G H E R said...

AHHH I have the biggest obsession with scarves! I just bought a ton in Italy and London and i am wearing them like everyday! I love this post!

Jillian Hobbs said...

i freaking LOVE those shoes did you do that yourself? amazing job!

i am obsessed with scarves! i saw the gap had like a ZILLION back in February not sure if they still do at mine but EVERY COLOUR! oh man! great post

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

YOU KNOW THAT THE DON HAD TO TAKE HIS WEEKLY PEEK AT YOUR BLOG.. I ACTUALLY LIKE IT... WONDER WHY YOU HID IT FROM ME?????... ANYWAY,I LIKE THAT SCARF AROUND THE ANKLE, IT'S CUTE ... NICE LEGS BY THE WAY ;) ... I DON'T KNOW ABOUT TYING IT ONTO THE BACK OF YOUR SHIRT THOUGH. I MEAN WHO WANTS TO WALK AROUND WITH A BIG BOW ALL DAY LOOKING LIKE A FAIRY... LMAO... PLUS YOU KNOW THAT YOU LIKE THAT PHARRELL AND KANYE LOOK...I WILL HOLLA ON THE REBOUND

Molly :] said...

Wow- i love the ankle-scarf.
I'll have to try that one out!

Diva's #1 fan said...

LOVE YOUR SCARF IDEAS!!!!!!! I'LL HAVE TO EMULATE... P.S. YOUR SUGGESTIONS ARE LIGHT YEARS AHEAD OF THE CURRENT SCARF-SPORTING OPTIONS!!! LIGHT YEARS, I SAY!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!