Monday, March 3, 2008

Score!

I am most often discouraged on retail/outlet shopping trips...most sales do diddly-squat to fit my budget or the clothes I have heard so much about disappoint, majorly (*cough* Bitten by SJP *cough* more on that in a sec). But yesterday...the clouds parted and the choirs sang harmoniously as the sunrays shined on this little number.


Ok, ok, not really, and I have already said I am no photographer (plus my camera is like from the first generation of digital cameras, btw). It looks a little blah in the pics, but this silver/gray trench coat (is it a coat, really?) is all kinds of awesome in real life. Shockingly it is by Romeo + Juliet Couture, which I usually loathe (damn you, with your fleur de lis and trendy skulls on your $65 t-shirts). It retails for close to $200, which I find ridic, so imagine my pleasure to get it for the price of one of the aforementioned tees! Yay, me!

Ok, so you true bargain hunters and fashionistas may be scoffing at my deal, but I am very proud. One of the biggest ironies I encounter as a 5'8" size 4 is the "model myth". You know, that most clothes are made for tall, skinny girls. Skinny maybe, tall...hell no. Most jackets cuff at that awkward length some 3" before it hits my wrist. I look like I've grown out of my clothes though they are newly purchased. The ones that are long enough at the sleeves are so big on my frame they make me look like a perverted flasher. Others I would try to fake as being 3/4 length sleeves won't close over my chest. This jacket is heaven to me for being pretty, pleated, light-weight, having the ability to close over my boobs (*ahem* Bitten), and having 3/4 length sleeves. It's gonna be my spring trench. It's so girly I can't stand it! Squee!

And now that you have indulged me in my little gushing moment...I gotta talk about Bitten by Sarah Jessica Parker. WTF, dude? I was so hyped. I went on the site and picked out this adorable dress and waist-length khaki trench that would total up to $20. I went to Steve and Barry's with baited breath and...wow. First off, I felt like I am in a Sam's Club Warehouse while Amanda Bynes is talking to me with crossed eyes about her Wet-Seal-on-speed line, Dear. I wentstraight to the Bitten area...it was half cleaned out. People were grabbing and tossing things like a free-for-all. Did I mention it was Saturday? It was like one of those cartoon clouds of smoke they use to symbolize fights with the limbs and heads appearing from time to time. My hoped-for trench was nowhere to be found. Damn. It. But I found the dress! In a size 14! Curses, foiled again. As I hung my head, tossed haphazardly from a rack was a cute, simple LBD and I got excited again, taking a 4 and a 6 with me to the dressing room. I tried on the 4 first, and my roommate had to practically press her foot into my back to shove me in the top of the dress corset-style so she can zip it. Ah, no worries, I have huge nunga-nungas. It is a fact of my life, and I deal. So then I put on the 6. It fit exactly like the 4 at the top, yet the fabric barely grazed my waist! So, does SJP think that as girls' frames spread, their chests stay exactly the same? The injustice, people! I looked around more, but felt more and more uninspired by all the nondescript colors and designs. Bitten was sucking out what little fashion savvy I had vampire-style (get it? Get it?) and so I left, muttering about how Carrie Bradshaw wouldn't be caught dead in there.

But then I found my trench coat/jacket/thingie and forgot all about it! :-) Shopping is like the best roller coaster I could ever ride, I swear it.

Oh, and apparently I have a reader or two! Hope I haven't sent you packing with my lackadaisical updating habits!

No comments: